Do you like canned tomato soup? I have an easy recipe that will take you only one to hour to cook and you have a healthy option with the amount of sugar and salt that you can control. It is a recipe for a perfect tomato soup.
It is versatile as far as a recipe can be. You can make it vegan or use any type of broth you like, serve it hot or cold, omit using butter and have any type of dry herbs that you like. The key to a delicious tomato soup is a fresh tasty tomato. Take your time choosing (try your local farmers markets) the taste that you will appreciate.
Ingredients for Healthy Tomato Soup:
- 500 g tomatoes;
- 1 clove garlic;
- 25 ml olive oil;
- 20 g butter (unsalted);
- 100 ml broth (any meat or vegetable);
- 1 onion;
- ¼ freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 tsp. dry basil;
- fresh basil to serve;
- 5 tsp. sugar;
- salt to taste.
How to make tomato basil soup:
- Wash tomatoes under cold running water, pat them dry with paper towels, cut them into quarters and place in the baking tray. Smear tomatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with dry basil (half of the portion), a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Bake tomatoes in preheated oven for 25 minutes at 400ºF/200°C.
- While you have tomatoes baking, chop an onion and a clove of garlic.
- When tomatoes are cooked, take them out from the oven. Next step is optional. You can peel tomatoes or leave them with skin on.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot; add butter. Sauté chopped onion for 2 minutes or until soft and golden, add chopped garlic and cook it for half a minute.
- Pour baked tomatoes with all the juice into the pot and sauté them together with onion and garlic for 10 minutes at medium heat.
- In 10 minutes, add broth of your choice. Let it simmer for additional 20 minutes, then season with left dry basil and sugar, salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Purée the mixture in the pot into one smooth consistency with a hand blender. Let your soup reboil and take it from the heat.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving for all the flavors to incorporate, sprinkle some fresh basil before serving. Bon appetite!
Please, if you liked my recipe, do not forget to share it with your friends!
Best served with croutons. And you can always add a sprinkle of grated parmesan. If you have anything in mind that that will make this soup taste delicious to you, have it added to your list of tomato soup ingredients. In spite of the short list of ingredients and easy steps to follow this soup comes out really delicious. If you have any question on the matter, leave in the comment section below.