Nothing is more comforting than freshly cooked homemade pierogi with a doll-up of sour cream. Whether you made a large batch of pierogi or specifically intended to prepare these delicious dumplings for the future, there are several easy peculiarities to remember for their further storage. If you want to know the best way to freeze pierogi, keep reading the article.
Can you freeze uncooked pierogi? Of course, you can. I will give you a better one. You should freeze uncooked pierogi. Preparing pierogi from scratch takes a long time. As a result, you usually cook a large number of pierogi at a time and freeze them in portions. It is a great plan to enjoy them at any desired time! After all, it is very convenient: throw pierogi into boiling water, cook for a few minutes, and a delicious dinner is ready. There is a catch! You have to freeze fresh pierogi in a way that, as a result, they do not turn into sticky lumps of dough and filling.
How do you freeze homemade pierogi?
It is best to freeze pierogi in serving portions, which will be big enough for your family to have for one dinner. That is why the size of pierogi portions depends on the size of your family. As a rule, the serving size for pierogi is 250 g/9 ounces for a person. So, I make a freezing portion of around 500 g to serve two people. It is best to freeze pierogi in small portions so that one such serving is enough for the family at a time. Here is the easiest way to freeze raw pierogi:
- You will need a cutting board, a tray or a baking sheet that can fit into your freezer, and plastic bags for storing frozen pierogi.
- Take a cutting board and spread fresh pierogi onto it. Here you can use a nonstick coating spray or sprinkle flour over the surface to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface. While placing pierogis, do not forget to leave space between the pieces to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Put the tray with pierogi into the freezer for 1.5 – 2 hours. It should be enough to get the dumplings frozen.
- For the next step, take them out of the freezer and divide frozen pierogi from the tray into servings. Put them into a bag of your choice.
- You can store pierogi in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you decide to cook your frozen pierogi, take one bag of pierogi from the freezer and put them into salted boiling water. For a detailed guide on How to cook pierogi, check out my other article.
There is another similar way to freeze pierogi but with a slight twist. Before placing pierogi on the tray, cover the tray with a plastic bag. Then, place pierogi onto the tray with a plastic bag on top of it. Leave the tray in the freezer for 2 hours. When they are ready, fold the ends of the bag for the dumplings to remain inside. Transfer to the freezer.
I hope that the article was helpful and you got the general picture. Freezing freshly homemade pierogi is not such a difficult task. You simply need to follow several easy steps to get the best result. If you have any questions or suggestions, please, leave them in the comment section below!