There are a lot of ways you can use for cooking rice. The number of options is endless. You can steam or boil it on the stove. Use a steamer or one of the cookers: rice cooker, multicooker, instant pot or slow cooker. Rice as a separate dish or an ingredient can be found in almost every kitchen of the world. Therefore, there are many cooking methods for you to choose.
I will share with you all the tricks and tips that I learned through years of practice. You will learn how to cook rice in boiling water on the stovetop, how to steam rice using a steamer. Also, I will give you an interesting recipe for how to cook rice in the microwave. Yes, you have read it right. Not to warm up rice in microwave, but how you can cook rice, using microwave.
Besides, I will share with you two guides. The first one will be on boiling time for different types of rice and its cooking methods. And the second one will be on proportions of rice to liquid. Hope that you will find here information that you are looking for!
How long do you boil rice?
The first thing that you need to know when you prepare rice is to know what time it takes to make it fully done. Boiling time affects the taste and quality of rice, for sure. That is why you always need to check time to prevent rice from under or overcooking. Here is a list of cooking time for white rice depending on the method of cooking:
- How long do you boil rice on the stove? You boil rice for 15-20 minutes in a pot on the stove.
- How long do you cook rice in multicooker (rice cooker)? Almost every multicooker has a cooking mode for rice. Chose it for cooking rice for 20 to 30 minutes for white rice.
- How long do you cook rice in a steamer? You cook white rice for 30 minutes in a steamer.
- How long to cook rice in a microwave? It takes 20 min to prepare rice in microwave.
Now, let’s have a look at how long it will take you to boil rice depending on its type. In the following list, I mentioned most popular types:
- How long do you boil white rice? You should boil white rice for 15-20 minutes, on the average.
- How long do you cook parboiled rice on the stove? You boil white parboiled rice a little bit longer, for 20-30 minutes straight.
- How long do you boil brown rice? Boil brown rice for 30-40 minutes in a pot after water starts boiling again.
- How long to boil wild rice? Wild rice will have the longest boiling time among all the types of rice. It will take you up to 60 minutes to prepare wild rice on the stove (start checking it for doneness after 40 minutes of boiling).
What is the ratio of water to rice?
The ratio of water to the grain you are cooking always depend on the consistency you want to have in a boiled product. I will give you a guideline for you check when you are boiling rice at home:
- If you want to have runny rice porridge, follow these proportions: 1 cup of rice to 6 cups of water/milk.
- If your goal is to have sticky boiled rice, than you have to combine 1 cup of rinsed rice with 3-4 cups of liquid.
- To get fluffy cooked through delicious rice, you should use following proportions: 1 cup of uncooked rice for 2 cups of water.
Now, you have information on both boiling time for cooked rice and proportions of water to rice. I think that these are the most important tips to know if you want to make rice at home whether you use it as a side dish or an ingredient for other meals. Next, I will share with you my go-to method for boiling rice.
Cooking Rice on the Stovetop
Let’s have a look at how you can make delicious boiled rice on the stovetop at home. Getting this recipe right was a true journey for me. I tried almost every variations I could find with various proportions and different steps to follow. I chose most suitable for my taste and needs. Hope that you will enjoy the recipe.
Ingredients: 1 cup rice; 2 cups water; ¼ tsp. salt; 1 tbsp. butter.
Cuisine: International Type: Ingredient/Garnish Calories: 116 kcal (per 100 g) Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 23 min Ready in 28 min
Follow my method and decide for yourself whether it is worth it:
- Measure out necessary amount of rice (as a rule, with one metric cup of uncooked rice you can have four nice portions of cooked rice).
- Thoroughly rinse white rice under cold running water, try using fine mesh strainer for the purpose.
- Place rinsed rice in a deep pot, add salt to your taste (mine advice would be ¼ of a teaspoon, if it is too plain, try adding half of a teaspoon). Cover it with mentioned amount of water.
- Put rice on the stove and set it to high heat. Wait until water boils and lower the heat down, as water should be gently simmering. Cover the pot with a tight lid and let rice cook for 15-20 minutes (it depends on type of the stove and the type of rice, for sure).
- When water cooks off in 15 minutes, just try it to make sure that rice is ready. If not, you can add some water and let rice cook for additional time. When rice is done, add butter and cover the pot with a lid again. Set pot aside and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving!
You have two options on when you add butter to boiled rice. The first option is to add butter in the beginning when you pour cold water to the pot with drained rice. And let it boil together with rice or, the second option, as I chose to do in this recipe. In such a way, I can taste flavor of butter more vividly.
If this method is hard for you and you still can’t figure it out how to make it fluffy and non-sticky try buying rice in bags. If you need a recipe for boiled rice sachets, leave a comment in the section below.
How to make steamed rice using a steamer
Use following Steamed Rice Recipe as your guide to get perfect fluffy rice in a steamer:
- Rinse uncooked grain under cold running water until water that comes out of the grain is clear.
- Place rinsed rice in a deep bowl and cover it with hot boiled water. Make sure that water will be 1 inch above the rice. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Drain water from the bowl or use a fine mesh strainer. Take a steamer tray or a special grain bowl (if you have one) and transfer there rice, even out the layer of rice with a spoon or a spatula.
- Fill reservoir with water to the mark, press necessary mode. As a rule, you need 30 minutes to prepare rice in this method, if preset time is different than change it.
- When your time passes, add a tablespoon of butter to the tray with rice and cover again it with a lid. In 5-7 minutes, it will be ready to be served.
How to cook rice in the microwave
Microwave is not your go to method for cooking any grain for sure but you never know when this option will come in handy. Knowing how to microwave rice for dinner can be a very helpful skill to possess:
- Rinse rice under running water and place it in a deep microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour boiled water over rice. Proportions for the recipe are as follows: 100 g of rice for 200 ml of water. Cover bowl with a lid and microwave it for 5 minutes on the highest power.
- Then reduce power by half and cook rice for additional 15 minutes.
- In the end, be careful to take the bowl out, as it will be hot. Do not open it yet; leave rice in the bowl under the lead for 10-15 minutes.
But unfortunately I do not guarantee you that rice will turn out to be very delicious and tender. Better use other methods for cooking and microwave cooked rice only to warm up.
If you still have any questions on how to cook rice, if you still have any difficulties that you can’t overcome while boiling rice on the stove, steaming or cooking in any cooker, please, leave all your questions below and I will try to help you.