You can definitely keep green onion fresh for a long time. There are proper ways to store green scallion that allow you to enjoy the plant’s rich taste and beneficial properties even after it has been in the refrigerator for a long time. I have a list of several tips and tricks to follow to get that will help you keep green onion fresh.
Fresh green onions make any dish much more delicious. Using it can improve the taste of dishes and help to digest food. Moreover, there is nothing tricky in storing onions. The best way to keep scallion fresh is to store it in the fridge. However, there are some peculiarities to the process. Let`s see how to store spring onions in the fridge:
- Do not rinse green onions with water before transferring scallion to the fridge. If there is dirt on the surface of the leaves, you better remove it with a napkin or shake it off without damaging the bow.
- If there is any moisture on the green onion, do not put the scallion into the fridge until it dries out. Spread the green scallion out in one even layer and wait until the moisture evaporates naturally.
- When storing green onions in the fridge, it is important to remove dry, starting to rot leaves or leaves with any defects. These leaves will speed up the drying or rotting of the entire bunch of scallions.
- Do not cut or bend the green parts of the spring onions. This way, you reduce the storage time in the fridge for the plant.
- Do not keep green scallions in a plastic bag in the fridge. You will get condensation forming and it will accelerate the process of rotting.
- If you bought or took out of the garden green onion with intact bulbs, the following method will be the best option to store the plant. Take a damp cloth and wrap the bulbs of green onions with it. Then take parchment paper and wrap it around where the damp cloth is. To secure, tie the rope around it. You can store green onions this way in the fridge for up to 15-20 days.
- You can freeze green onion. It is the only storage method in which green onions should be pre-cleaned. Rinse them thoroughly under running water and leave them for 30 to 60 minutes to dry out naturally. Cut green onion the way you like and transfer it to a container or a zip-lock bag. Freeze up to 6 months.
- To make green onions last longer in the fridge, you can use the slat preserving method. For a more detailed explanation of this method for preserving herbs and vegetables, check out my other article:
How long do scallions last in the refrigerator
The shelf life of green onions largely depends on the temperature regime of the fridge. You can keep onion fresh for about a month at around 0 degrees. At temperatures ranging from 3 to 4 degrees, scallions will last no longer than 3 weeks. If you decide to keep green onions at room temperature, they will dry out in a few days. Frozen green onion can be stored for up to six months. However, you should avoid repeated defrosting or partial thawing of the plant.
I hope that the article was helpful and you found the necessary information. If you have any other advice on how to keep spring onion fresh in the fridge, please, share them with everybody in the comment section below. If you liked the article, do not forget to share it with your friends or simply give it a 5-star review.