Do you know what would be a great idea for a weekend breakfast? Creamy corn grits with fruits. It is tasty and delicious, has high nutritional value and can fill you with energy for a good productive day. We will show you how to make easy creamy corn grits with butternut squash and bananas. Feel free to substitute any fruits for your favorites. You can see a detailed recipe below.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Ready in 45 minutes + 2 to 4 hours of marinating.
Yield: 4 servings.
List of ingredients for butternut squash grits:
- 250 grams yellow corn grits;
- 200-250 grams peeled and diced butternut squash (or pumpkin);
- 3 milk;
- 50 grams honey;
- 1 banana;
- 30 grams butter;
- Raisins, mint leaves – optional (to your taste).
How to cook easy corn grits step-by-step guide:
- Measure out necessary amount of corn grits. Here is a tip for you: if you do not want to spent a lot of time boiling corn grits until tender presoak beforehand. Pour two cups of water into a bowl with grits and let sit for 2-4 hours before boiling. After time passes, rinse through corn grits under running water.
- Heat the milk in a pot and add soaked corn grits. Let the milk boil again, lower the heat to medium.
- Now is the time to add diced butternut squash, let it boil in the milk with grits for 20-30 minutes than pure squash with a masher. Add salt to your taste. Do not forget to stir the grits in a pot while cooking.
- After mashing butternut squash, you can add sliced bananas. Do not get hung up on bananas only. You can use any fruit you like: apples, pears or berries. Let the grits simmer with banana for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat; stir honey and butter in. Let it sit under closed lead for several minutes before serving. You can garnish butternut grits with leaves of mint and raisins.
If you liked our creamy corn grits recipe, please share with your friends!