What happens when European, Middle Eastern and West Asian roads intersect? Well, such a unique and exquisite thing as a Caucasian cuisine emerges! We will teach you how to stew beans in a Georgian way.
As lobio means “bean”, you can guess that there are many types “Lobois”, as there are a lot of ways how you can cook and serve beans. Today’s recipe is “Dakepili lobio”. Do not miss such a great opportunity to learn how to cook this Georgian bean dip with our recipe!
Prep time: 1.5 hours Servings: 10
Ingredients for a perfect Georgian red bean stew:
- 2 cups red kidney beans/pinto beans;
- 1 cup walnuts halves;
- 2 onions;
- 1-2 tsps. Khmeli Suneli (Georgian five spice seasoning);
- 1-2 tsps. coriander powder;
- Salt and black pepper to taste;
- 3 garlic cloves;
- 1 bunch herbs (cilantro or parsley are more preferable);
- 5 tbsps. olive oil.
How to Make Cold Caucasus Lobio:
- Chose only one type of beans for your stew. If you cook several types of beans together, they will not be ready at the same time.
- Put beans in the pot with water and let them soak overnight prior to cooking.
- In the morning, drain all the water and rinse the beans. Put them into the pot again, cover with fresh cold water and bring it to a boil. Cook beans gently over medium heat for 1-1.5 hours. Beans should become tender. You can cover the pot; let the beans simmer under the lid.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, chop onion and sauté it for 5-7 minutes until onion becomes translucent and soft. Do not forget to stir it occasionally!
- After mixing khmeli suneli seasoning and coriander powder with onion, take the pan off the heat.
- Only then add nicely chopped herbs, finely ground walnuts, salt and pepper to taste.
- Press garlic and stir all the ingredients together, let them soak in all the flavors.
- All the liquid that is left from boiling beans, drain out and save for later. Divide cooked beans into 2 equal parts.
- First part blend into a nice mash. If consistency of the mixture is too thick for your liking, you can always add liquid from boiling that you saved earlier.
- Mix in together pureed and whole beans.
- Next step will be to transfer ingredients from the pan into mixture of beans.
- All you need to do is to mix in everything together and leave overnight in the fridge. And here you have a perfect beans stew from Caucasian cuisine.
You see how it is easy to cook a perfect stew from beans. In addition, you can also incorporate a recipe from a cuisine that is new to you. You can use as a dip sauce or a side dish. Try to incorporate such recipes from cuisines all over the world to make your meals more exciting!
If you like our recipe, please, share it with your friend!