Blanched green beans is a great way to include vitamins (B6, A, K and C), dietary fiber, protein, calcium and iron to your diet. You can cook them as a separate garnish to your standard dinner dish, try to add them as a part of such a complex dish as a vegetable stew or ragout. You can find in your stores sold in two ways: frozen and fresh. In this article, we will explain you how you can cook both types of green beans and how long time it will take you to get these delicious veggies cooked in the best way possible.
How long do you blanch green beans?
The first thing to bear in mind the time of blanching frozen and fresh green beans will be different. In addition, it depends on the size of a green beans pods and their freshness. Let us see how long you will cook fresh green beans for different ways of cooking:
- How long do you blanch fresh green beans? Fresh green beans will blanch for 5-8 minutes in boiled water.
- How long do you cook frozen green beans? Frozen green beans will cook for 10-12 minutes in boiled water.
- How long do you cook green beans in a steamer/rice cooker? You can steam both fresh green beans and frozen. For cooking, you can use whatever you have: a steamer or a rice cooker. For fresh beans – 8-10 minutes, for frozen – 15-20 minutes
This part of an article is, as always, for those who only wants to check the time you need to cook green beans. For those who are interested in a detailed guide for blanching green beats, then keep reading our article.
How do you blanch green beans in a pan?
Blanching fresh vegetable is one of the ways to get a cooked garnish but still with some remaining nutritious elements in it. And it is great that this method is the easiest way that you can cook green beans. Here are step-by-step instructions on how you should cook green beans in a pan on the stove:
- The first step will be to wash green beans thoroughly and trim them (just get them into one pile in such a way that stems will be at the same side and cut them all of at once with a knife).
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Always pay attention to the amount of water that you put into a pan, as it should completely submerge green beans.
- When water boils, add salt to your taste and then put fresh green beans into boiling water. Cook fresh green beans for 5 to 8 minutes. You always can check the readiness of pods by tasting them, but be careful, do not burn yourself.
- Prepare a large bowl with cold water you can even add ice. Yu will need it to stop the process of cooking. So, when you know that you have your green beans ready, take them out of the pan with boiling water and put them into bowl with cold water. Leave them for several minutes to cool down and then drain. That is it; here you have a method that will make your green beans taste good.
How do you blanch frozen green beans in a pan? Boil a pot of water, add the amount of salt that you will usually cook vegetables with and finally put frozen green beans. Wait for water to boil again and cook pods for 10-12 minutes. Move boiled green beans into a bowl with cold water for several minutes and your beans are ready.
How to cook green beans in a steamer/rice cooker?
I think we do not need to explain you why steamed vegetables are good for you. Steaming helps veggies not to lose nutrients while cooking. It is just as simple and easy method as blanching it in water. You just need to follow four effortless steps:
- You need to prepare green beans for steaming: wash them under running water and cut off stems.
- Add water to the bottom section of your steamer or into the main pot of a rice cooker, insert a steam rack and put vegetables on it.
- In a rice cooker, you should choose setting “STEAM” if you have such and set the timer for 8-10 minutes if your green beans are fresh and 15-20 minutes if they are frozen.
- When cooking time ends, take out steamed green beans out from the rack; add salt, olive oil and seasoning to your taste.
Feel free to ask any questions on the subject. If you have any other ways in which you can cook green beans, leave them in the comment section below. As always, if you found our article helpful, do not forget to share it with your friends.