Boiling quinoa is one of the easiest ways that you can cook quinoa. It takes a little effort, but, as a result, you get a perfect grain with fiber and protein, plus gluten-free. Let us have a look at how you can cook quinoa on the stove and how long to cook quinoa in boiling water on the stove and in a rice cooker. We will give you a recipe for perfect boiled quinoa and teach you all the tricks that you will need along the way.
If you want to learn How you can measure quinoa without using scales, follow this link.
How long does quinoa have to cook?
If you want to make fluffy, tasty quinoa, pay attention to the time of boiling. If you overboil your grain, it will become all mushy:
- How long do you boil quinoa? You need to cook quinoa in boiling water for 15 minutes on average.
- How long do you cook quinoa in a rice cooker? You should cook quinoa at least for 30 minutes in a rice cooker.
The process of cooking quinoa is not as difficult as it seems at first. With our detailed recipe, you can master tasty boiled quinoa from the first attempt at making it.
How much does 1 cup of dry quinoa yield? 1 cup of dry quinoa makes about 3 cups of cooked quinoa.
How much liquid do you need to cook quinoa? The proportion is following: 1 cup of dry quinoa to 2 cups of water (or broth).
How to cook quinoa in a pot?
Quinoa is a perfect grain, which can be used as a garnish or an ingredient in salads; you can add it to your meal plans without any hesitation. Here is a step-by-step guide on how you cook 1 cup of quinoa.
Do you need to wash quinoa before cooking? As a rule, packaged quinoa is sold already rinsed, but it won`t be something extra, as rinsing will remove saponin, the natural coating of this grain. Why is it important? It can make your cooked quinoa taste bitter.
Healthy quinoa recipe - How to cook quinoa on the stove
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- Measure out the necessary amount of quinoa and rinse it thoroughly under running water before cooking. If you have time you can presoak quinoa in cold water for several hours, but this step is not necessary.
- Pour 2 cups of cold water into a pot and let it boil on high heat. After add washed quinoa into the pot with boiling water.
- When water boils again, lower the heat so that water is simmering. Cook quinoa for at least 15 minutes or until all the liquid absorbs. Stir quinoa several times while cooking for even readiness.
- When quinoa is ready, you can serve it at once or keep it in the refrigerator after it cools down.
Here is the other option. First, you add quinoa to the pot and then pour water. Put the pot on medium heat to boil. In this case, you are risking getting overcooked quinoa. If you have decided to cook the grain this way, then do not cover the pot with a lid while quinoa is simmering.
If you have any questions on the subject or any suggestions on what you want to hear from us more, please, leave them in the section below. Do not be afraid to experiment with your diet! Adding a nutritional grain like quinoa will have a positive effect on your health.