In this article, we will give you a guide how you can cook cauliflower to make it taste delicious, how to boil cauliflower not to overcook it and at the same time how you save all the healthful properties. You will ask why it is important. Well, cauliflower has many nutrients and it is one of those products with easy digestive and assimilating properties. Besides its cooking process is the easiest and the quickest one.
How long to cook cauliflower on the stovetop?
Boiling and blanching are two main ways to prepare cauliflower in a pot. The difference is in when you put cauliflower into the water. While blanching you put cauliflower into boiling water and while boiling you put it into cold water and the boil. Let`s see how much time it will take to cook cauliflower in different ways:
- How long does it take to blanch cauliflower on the stove? Blanching cut into bite-size pieces cauliflower will take 3-5 minutes.
- How long do you boil a whole cauliflower? You cook the whole head of cauliflower for about 10 minutes in a pot (set the timer when water boils).
- How long do I boil cauliflower for mashed? You need to boil cauliflower up to 20 minutes to make it very tender (it will depend on the size of cut florets).
- How long do you boil frozen cauliflower? You cook frozen cauliflower for 13-17 minutes in boiled water to get it tender (do not thaw frozen cauliflower in advance).
- How long do you boil cauliflower before pan-frying? Yes, you can fry already boiled cauliflower; you just need to blanch it for several minutes beforehand.
- How long do you boil cauliflower in a rice cooker? You need to cook cauliflower (frozen or fresh) for 25-30 minutes on the setting “STEAM”.
This part was for those who just needs to check cooking time for cauliflower; the detailed guide will be describe down below.
How to blanch cauliflower in a pot on the stovetop?
If you know the basics of blanching vegetables then this process of cooking cauliflower will be of no surprise for you. As it is really simple and quick, it will be easy to replicate at home:
- If you have fresh cauliflower, first you should remove the leaves, cut off the stem and all the dark spots on the florets, rinse the cauliflower head really thoroughly and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Let the water boil in a pot on the high heat (water in a pot should cover florets) and add salt at a proportion 1 tsp of salt for 1 liter of water.
- When water boils, put cut florets of cauliflower into water, wait when it reboils and lower the heat on the stove. Blanch it for 3 to 5 minutes, but if you want a really tender side then it will take you up to 10 minutes to cook cauliflower.
- While cauliflower is blanching, prepare a large bowl with cold water and ice in it. When the time passes quickly move blanched florets into the bowl. We need to stop cooking process immediately that is why we need this cold water. Wait for 5 minutes and then take cauliflower out. Here you have a delicious garish for your dinner meal!
How do you cook frozen cauliflower? Boil a large saucepan of water, add salt and then add frozen cauliflower. There is no need in unfreezing cauliflower before boiling. When water reboils wait for 10 minutes (13-15 minutes if you want it tenderer). You can cool it down by moving to a bowl with cold water.
How to prepare cauliflower for freezing? The first thing to know is that you can freeze your cauliflower without cooking, yes, the quality of overall dish will be not so great but it will be still safe to eat it. However, if you have some spare time we advise you to blanch cauliflower before freezing. The process of blanching is described above.
How to cook cauliflower in a rice cooker/multi-cooker?
There are several ways that you can use a cooker to make delicious cauliflower side dish. Today we will describe one of them to you:
- As always, before cooking you need to clean your vegetables. So cut off all the leaves, stem and all the dark spots: and clean with running water really thoroughly.
- Pour 1 cups of water into a cooker (it should cover the whole bottom); add cauliflower, close the lead and set the timer to 6-10 minutes. Cooking time depends on how tender you want your cauliflower to be. Press start (if you have setting “STEAMING” then press it).
- When the time runs out and you will hear a beeping signal, transfer cooked cauliflower floret onto a serving plate. Do not let it sit in the rice cooker, as it will continue steaming.
If you found our article helpful, feel free to share with your friends!