If you are looking for the fastest way to prepare cabbage leaves for cabbage rolls, then this post is for you. I will share with you the easiest way to soften cabbage, using microwave. In 10 minutes, you will have cabbage leaves ready for wrapping delicious stuffed cabbage rolls. They will be easy to handle with any type of stuffing.
This method of cooking is more appropriate to use for young vegetables, as blanching and boiling do not fit for the purpose. Leaves of young cabbage are easily broken apart.
Softened Cabbage Leaves Recipe
Ingredients: 1 cabbage Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 10 min Ready in 15 min
Calories: 22 kcal (per 100 g) Yield: 3 servings Cuisine: European Type: Ingredient
You will need:
- 1 cabbage head;
- Microwave safe plate;
- Plastic food wrap.
How to prepare cabbage leaves for cabbage rolls in the microwave:
- Let’s prepare our cabbage head for the further using in the recipe. Choose cabbage wisely. Try getting head without any cracks or damages and preferably with thinner leaves. Rinse it thoroughly under running water. Pat it with paper towels until it dries. Get rid of all the damaged outer leaves if necessary.
- The next step would be to core the cabbage. First, get rid of the stalk in the way that you see in the picture.
- Then using a sharp knife, make the hole deeper and make sure that it is tapered towards the middle.
- Place cabbage head on the microwave safe plate and wrap it up with food wrap (if you have no plastic wrap use a clean new plastic bag).
- Set microwave on high power – 850-1000 watts. Cook medium sized cabbage head for 6-7 minutes and the big ones for 10 minutes in the microwave. Leaves will be steaming due to moisture released from leaves.
- Take cabbage out of the microwave. Be careful; as the head is too hot use some potholders. Let it cool down before removing plastic wrap.
- Separate leaves, one by one. If you see some leaves in the middle are not ready, warp them again using plastic wrap and repeat the process of microwaving once again. Now, if the leaves are too big cut them in half. Cut out the tough stem pat of every leaf.
- Wrap cabbage rolls using cabbage leaves that you just prepared in microwave. If you need a recipe, check my recipe for Cabbage rolls stuffed with minced meat and rice.
Hope that this instructions on How to Soften Cabbage for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls was helpful and you will share it with your friends.
You can also find another way on how you can prepare softened cabbage leaves to use for cabbage rolls in that recipe. It includes boiling cabbage head on the stove for some time until leaves turn yellow. For the full description of the process, you can check out the recipe.
All your questions leave in the comment section below and I will get back to you as quick as possible. The process of microwaving cabbage leaves is very simple and easy to follow. You need only few utensils and zero extraordinary skills.