Kystybyj is a national Tatar dish; however, you can come across recipes of baked flatbread with filling in cuisines from different corners of the world. There are some variations of what you can use for the filling (for example, poppy seeds, porridge), but mashed potatoes is the most popular one.
These Tatar tortillas are tasty and nourishing. They are a great option for a lunch at work (as you can make them at home and then heat in the microwave), breakfasts or a perfect addition to family dinner with number of dishes. The key to a homemade tortilla for kystybyj is frying them in a hot dry pan without any oil and butter.
Kystybyj Dough Ingredients:
- 400 ml milk;
- 5 tbsps. all-purpose flour;
- ¼ tsp. salt;
- 1 egg;
- 30 g unsalted butter.
Kystybyj Filling Ingredients:
- 1 kg potatoes;
- 150 ml milk;
- 100 g unsalted butter;
- 1 onion;
- salt and pepper to taste.
How to make tasty tortillas with filling at home:
- Peal cleaned potatoes, cut them into pieces and boil until cooked through in salted water.
- While potatoes are boiling, chop onion into small slices and sauté in butter until golden and soft.
- Drain liquid from cooked potatoes, mash potatoes before adding other ingredients. Heat milk and add it to mashed potatoes with butter and sautéed onion.
- Combine all the ingredients with a blender into smooth mixture.
- In a separate bowl, make a dough. Whisk an egg with milk; add melted butter and salt. Mix everything together.
- Add flour in small portions constantly stirring the mixture.
- Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before cooking (cover bowl with a plastic wrap).
- Take small pieces of dough from the bowl and roll them into thin flatbreads.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat. Bake tortillas in a dry skillet on the both sides until golden and crusty. Cook all the bunch in one go.
- Smear all the tortillas with butter while they are still hot and fold in half.
- Place mashed potatoes filling inside of the folded tortillas. Once more cook them in the frying pan for 2 minutes for each side.
Enjoy your meal!
You know that I like to search for some interesting unusual recipes and share them with you. When I came across this one on the web, I was really happy to try and make it. Moreover, I was not disappointed. I hope that you will love it and your family will appreciate this kystybyj recipe. Do not forget to share it with your friends! All your questions leave in the comment section below. I will be glad to help you.