Learn what can be used instead of mayonnaise, which mayo alternatives are healthy and easy to make at home. Chose the best mayonnaise substitute to use for salad dressing, to make sandwiches or dips.
Mayonnaise is an excellent French sauce when made at home from fresh yolks, oil, and vinegar with mustard as a stabilizer. However, the store version can contain additional thickeners, flavor enhancers, flavoring substances, stabilizers, etc. Moreover, mayonnaise is a pretty high-calorie product.
In the future, I plan to share the recipe of homemade mayonnaise that I make at home. However, I need to make it several more times to make the recipe perfect. Meanwhile, I offer you three easy salad dressing recipes that can be used instead of mayonnaise.
How to make Tzatziki at home – Mayo substitute with yogurt
Tzatziki is a dip/sauce that is made on the base of yogurt with a mixture of grated cucumber, different herbs, and some type of acid (vinegar or lemon juice). I know that it is usually served as a side dish; however, when you try it as a mayonnaise substitute you will see why I included it at the top of my list. Due to its fresh tarty taste, it goes perfectly with vegetables and leafy greens in salads making the flavor more complex. Here is how you can make this Greek dressing:
Tzatziki Recipe - Mayo substitute with yogurt
- 4 tbsps. yogurt (plain, Greek or Turkish)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small cucumber (about 1 tbsps. grated)
- 1 tbsp. chopped dill and parsley
- 1-2 tsp. lemonjuice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to your taste
- Peel and grate cucumber using a fine grater. Sprinkle salt over the cucumber pulp. Let it sit for a bit and then squeeze all the juice out of the vegetable.
- Combine in a separate bowl all the ingredients: yogurt, crushed garlic clove, choppedfresh herbs (my top choices are always dill or parsley, or their mix + try tocut them into the smallest pieces you can), lemon juice (add more if you preferthe sour taste) and olive oil. If you have no lemon juice then you can alwaysadd vinegar, but use only wine vinegar.
- Mix until smooth and leave in the fridge to thicken for about half an hour. Andyour perfect mayo substitute is done! You are welcome!
How to Make Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce – Mayo substitute with sour cream
This dressing recipe has a variety of ingredients with different flavors, which bring their unique and bright taste to the mix. One gives the salad sweetness, the other tenderness, and the third spiciness. You are always free to experiment; therefore, you can change the proportions of the listed ingredients and make the dressing up to your taste. If you want to add more sharpness to the salad have more mustard added and if you are looking for some sweetness in the dip for barbecue, chicken wings have more mustard. P.S. Sour cream can easily be substituted with plain yogurt. See how you can make a tasty mayonnaise substitute at home below:
Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe
- 4 tbsps. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
- Combine all the ingredients in the glass jar. Give them a thorough mix/shake until thesauce becomes smooth.
- Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes in a fridge to incorporate all the flavors. Serve as adip or add to salads as a dressing.
How to make Cottage Cheese Salad Dressing – Healthy Mayonnaise Alternative Recipe
This recipe is a great alternative to mayonnaise. The sauce is made from cottage cheese, garlic, and herbs. It turns out to be light, fresh, and very tasty. Cottage cheese sauce goes well with vegetables, meat, and fish. You can make the sauce thicker or thinner with the amount of liquid that you pour at the end. You have several options that you can use. Milk (the most common), kefir (my favorite as it adds the distinct sour taste to the mix), and plain drinkable yogurt (of course, without any added sugar and flavors). Choose fresh green herbs according to your taste, however, do not skip green onion:
Cottage Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe
- 100 g cottage cheese
- 2 tbsps. milk
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. chopped green stalks of the scallion
- 1 tbsp. chopped green herbs (dill, parsley, or thyme)
- Saltand freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender cup, combine cottage cheese, garlic, all the fresh herbs, andscallion. Add salt and ground black pepper to your taste. You can always startwith small amounts and then add more after tasting the mixture. Pour milk.
- Process until smooth and creamy. If the consistency is not creamy enough, pour mor emilk.
- Leave in an air-tight jar or container in the fridge for some time before adding to the salad.
I hope that you have learned some new helpful information and tried the recipes. These three mayo alternatives are staples in my kitchen when I plan to make appetizers, salads, and sandwiches. If you have any questions, you always have a comment section below to ask them.