I am always up to experimenting. This “potato croquettes with stuffing” recipe was a revelation for me. It combines mashed potatoes (which I adore) and minced meat (which is very easy and fast to cook). You can always have it as a standalone dish as it is very nutritious. Just add some sour cream or Greek yogurt to the plate. This croquettes recipe combines crispy and buttery textures together with the juiciness of the meat stuffing.
If you do not have meat you substitute it with mushrooms, you favorite sautéed vegetables combination, smothered cabbage and boiled egg + chopped scallion mix. You’ve got your options. Do not forget to use breadcrumbs as they make a big difference in the texture of cooked potato croquettes!
Ingredients for Meat Stuffed Potato Croquettes:
- 1 kg potatoes;
- 300 g minced meat;
- half of 1 onion;
- half of 1 carrot;
- 1 egg;
- 3-4 tbsps. all-purpose flour;
- 3 tbsps. breadcrumbs;
- 50 ml oil for frying;
- salt, pepper to taste.
How to make potato croquettes with stuffing at home:
- Cook potatoes in salted water until soft so you can mash them easily into smooth consistency. Check for any lumps! Set aside to cool down.
- While we have mashed potatoes cooling down, let us make our stuffing. Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat and add chopped veggies: onion and carrot. Sauté them until tender and then add minced meat.
- Keep breaking minced meat into small parts while cooking. Let the water evaporate from the meat and sauté by stirring until the meat is fully cooked. The stuffing should also cool down before making croquettes.
- When you have mashed potatoes room temperature, beat in one egg and all-purpose flour to get the perfect dough. Nicely mix everything together to avoid any bumps.
- You can make potato croquettes in any shape or form you would like. Take a scoop with a tablespoon place it onto the plate with breadcrumbs; flatten the inside with your hand or spoon.
- With a teaspoon place meat stuffing in the middle of potato patty and then form croquettes by bringing potato ends together, sealing the meat inside.
- Pat every side of the formed croquettes in breadcrumbs to get the crust crispy after frying.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat. Fry each side until golden brown (about 1 minute for each side). The key is to fry in hot oil uncovered. If not the breading may come off from the sides.
- Remove from the skillet onto the paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve with sour cream or plain yogurt. Enjoy your meal!
As you see, potato croquettes are really to cook. Yes, the recipe is time consuming. You need to make mashed potatoes, let them it cool down. Then have minced meat cooked and the same you need to cool it down before using. But when you try these potato croquettes, you will never regret the time you spent on making them.
If you liked my recipe, please, share it with your friends! If you have any question, leave them in the comment section below. I will be glad to help you!