You cannot even imagine how lucky you are to discover such a versatile dish! You can use sautéed mushrooms as an addition to any type of roasted meat or stews; serve with cooked rice, bulgur, and quinoa as a garnish.
We will give you a perfect detailed recipe with a step-by-step guide on how to cook mushrooms on the stove in a pan using few additional ingredients and even less skills. You won’t find any easier recipe for white button mushrooms!
Ingredients for sautéed mushrooms with onions:
- 500 grams mushrooms (cremini or button);
- 1 onion;
- olive oil;
- 5 tbsps. soy sauce;
- 1 tsp. garlic powder;
- dry basil;
- Salt (optional), black pepper to taste;
- fresh herbs to serve.
How to sauté perfect mushrooms on the stove:
- First, let’s rinse mushrooms under running cold water (use only cold water as under warm water mushrooms get covered by dark spots). Do not leave them to soak in water for a long time. Use mushroom brush if you have one.
- After cleaning mushrooms, blot them with paper towels. Now, it’s time to slice mushrooms. We quartered them, but you can cut them in whatever shape you want.
You should sauté mushrooms at once after chopping. They can get dark spots if you leave them sliced for a long time uncooked.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add quartered mushrooms and sauté them until they turn golden (around 5 minutes). Stir occasionally and let all the liquid to evaporate.
Here is another tip: to get a perfect caramelized crust do not stir mushrooms a lot. Let them sit on each side for some time!
- While mushrooms are on the stove, chop and add onion to the pan.
- Continue cooking for additional 5 minutes (or until onion becomes translucent and soft).
- Stir in soy sauce with dry basil, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Let mushrooms sear in mixture of herbs and soy sauce for 10 minutes approximately. The goal is for mushrooms to absorb mouth-watering flavor of herbs and to get slightly caramelized while leaving some amount of liquid in a pan. Sauté mushrooms stirring occasionally until cooked.
Salt here is optional. As soy sauce already adds saltiness to the dish alongside great flavor!
- To serve, sprinkle chopped fresh herbs over mushrooms!
Use sautéed mushrooms as a side dish or over meat as a topping!
Enjoy your meal!
You do not need to have some special chef skills to prepare sautéed mushrooms. Just take your time and follow all the listed steps and you will get your healthy sautéed mushrooms with onion perfect. If you liked our recipe, please, do not forget to share it with your friend!