Do you know the feeling when you haven`t even finished making the recipe but you already know that it will become your instant favorite. It happened with this recipe for me! I had some left over cabbage from a soup recipe and some cucumbers. Googled some raw cabbage recipes and discovered some interesting interpretations of coleslaw. If you can find more cost efficient salad recipe, please tell me. Believe me, I’ll be really surprised!
I have seen some pre-made coleslaw mixtures but I tend to use fresh green veggies and cut them the way I want them to be in my salad.
I am not the one to persuade you on nutritional benefits of cabbage and other fresh vegetables in this recipe, especially herbs. They are pretty extensive. Add to this points perfect crunchy texture and acidic flavor and you will have a side dish/salad recipe that is perfect for barbecue and family dinners. Goes well with any type of meat and even fish, mashed potatoes or any cooked grain.
Ingredients for Homemade Coleslaw with Cucumber:
- 300 g green cabbage;
- 4 cucumbers;
- 50 g scallions;
- 50 g dill;
- 2-3 tbsps. sunflower oil;
- 5 tbsp. vinegar or 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice);
- salt, pepper.
This recipe is open for your improv! Be creative and add your favorite veggies (bell pepper, carrot etc. or even fruits, especially sour apples).
How to make the simplest cabbage salad with cucumber at home:
- Clean cabbage under running water; pat it with paper towels until dry. Thinly slice green cabbage with a sharp knife. Shreds of cabbage will not be as fine and uniformed as in case of using mandolin slicer. But I find that if you have them too thin they can become too wilted after seasoning.
- Place sliced cabbage into the mixing bowl, sprinkle with salt. Lightly massage cabbage and set aside to release juices.
- Slice cucumber the shape you want them in your salad.
- Slice finely green onion and dill for the salad.
Before using any herbs in a salad, try to wash them in advance. In such a way, they will be dry at that point.
- Combine cabbage in a mixing bowl with all these ingredients.
- Drizzle the mixture of veggies with vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. And finely pour sunflower oil and mix nicely.
You can always use olive oil for this recipe, but I find that sunflower oil goes better with the taste of fresh cabbage.
- You can prep ingredients several hours ahead but the key to a perfect crunchy slaw is combining everything just before serving. Do not let the salad marinate for a long time, sogginess does not go well with this salad. Enjoy your meal!
After several tries, I discovered the main key to mine perfect cabbage salad. Combine everything before serving! Also, the more fresh herbs, the better. They always add that something special to a salad.
Please, if you liked my recipe, share it with your friends! You can leave all your questions below, I will be glad to help you.