This easy recipe for a homemade shawarma makes it ideal for you to cook quick but at the same time nourishing meal. It requires no meat marinating and uses simple sauce that does not make it less delicious. You will be pleasantly surprised! There is only one essential rule: use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast, cooked meat will be juicier.
List of ingredients for homemade chicken shawarma:
- 1 thin wrap (flatbread);
- 100 g boneless, skinless chicken thighs;
- 30 g spicy marinated carrot salad (optional);
- 50 g chopped white cabbage;
- 2 tomato sauce;
- 1 pickle or fresh cucumber;
- 1 tbsp. plain yogurt or mayonnaise;
- 10 g chopped parsley;
- Oil, salt. Pepper.
How to make easy chicken shawarma:
- Cut chicken into somewhat flat pieces. In a preheated pot with small amount of oil, cook chicken over medium heat until it done. If you over cook meat may become dry! At the end, season meat with salt and pepper. In this recipe, we had the chance to use elektrogrill without any oil. Cooked chicken set aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile, get a piece of flatbread and smear it with tomato sauce and yogurt (mayonnaise), even out the mixture of two sauces in the middle of a piece (you have to leave the edges of a flatbread uncovered).
- Chop white cabbage thoroughly into small pieces and place them as the first onto the mixture of sauces. Look at the way I placed chopped cabbage at the picture.
- Now, use carrots for the next layer. Try to take spicy carrot without any marinade, simply squeeze it out (marinate can soak into flatbread and make it tear up).
- Add pickles and chicken, cut into slices beforehand. Finally, chopped parsley on the top.
- Roll up flatbread with filling very carefully, my tip would be to wrap up edges first for everything not to fall out.
- As the final step, you will place your wrapped flatbread onto preheated pan and cook it for 1 minute on the each side until it nicely browns. Serve immediately!
I promise you that this recipe for chicken shawarma with carrot salad and white cabbage is really quick and easy. If you have any advice on how to make easy chicken shawarma, fell free to leave them in comments section below.