What can be a better addition to a salad than homemade croutons? They are a great way to add texture and crunchiness. If you have ever tried them in a Caesar salad, believe us, you will eat this salad only in this way from now on.
Do you know the other great thing about homemade croutons? You choose the type of bread you are making them from. You choose all the seasoning and spices, their size, shape and how rusk you want your croutons. So say goodbye to all the artificial additives! If you want to how to make plain or seasoned croutons keep reading out article. We will give you a detailed recipe how you can make rusks or croutons at home.
How long does it take to cook croutons in the oven?
How long do you bake croutons? Baking time depends on the type of bread you chose and the size of cubes you cut it into. As a rule, it will take from 10 to 20 minutes to bake croutons in the oven. Here is a tip for you: if you are afraid to overcook croutons, keep them in the turned on oven for 10 minutes, then turn the oven off, slightly open the oven door and let the croutons sit there for additional 10 minutes.
At what temperature do you bake croutons in the oven?
You can choose the temperature for baking croutons within the range of 300-400 degrees Fahrenheit (150-200 degrees Celsius). Lower the heat, longer you bake. Moreover, if you bake cubed croutons at 200 degrees C for 7 minutes you will get a crisp crust but soft inside.
How do you make croutons in the oven?
The key to perfect croutons from the oven is the succession of several steps that it is not too hard to repeat. Let’s have a look at a croutons recipe, keep in mind that these are the guidelines and you can customize this croutons in the oven recipe as you like:
- Cut the bread you selected into cubes or any desired shape. Removing crust is optional.
- Transfer cubes into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil and add seasoning. Usually it takes 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 4 Metric cups full of cut bread cubes. You may add whatever seasoning or spices you like. Our only advice will be instead of fresh garlic use granulated or garlic powder as fresh garlic when overbakes tastes bitter and leaves not so delicious flavor. Have your spices freshly ground and do not forget about paprika. Toss the croutons in the mixture until it covers all the cubes evenly.
- Place a baking sheet on the tray and spread bread cubes in one layer. Bake croutons at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- When the baking time ends, turn off the oven and leave croutons for additional 10 minutes in the slightly open oven.
- You can serve them with your favorite salads, soups and even stews or just use them as a snack!
As you see, the process of preparing croutons in the oven is not so difficult. There are several steps and that is it, you have a great delicious snack. You always need to remember how long you need to bake croutons in the oven and what temperature should be while you bake croutons in the oven. You can use spices you like and enjoy them fresh! If you liked our article, do not forget to share with your friends!