Beetroot is a very useful vegetable: it is an easy to cook product with many health-giving properties. You can find antioxidants, nutrients and nitrates in its chemical composition. We will give you a detailed guide how you can cook fresh beets in boiling water, in a microwave and even in a rice cooker/multi-cooker.
You may also like: How to measure beets without using scales.
How long do you cook beets?
As always, we will not give you a precise time that can take you to cook fresh beets. In fact, several factors have impact on this. First thing is the size of the vegetable, and second is method you chose to cook beets. Here the list that will help you to navigate in all these information:
- How long to boil beets in a pan on the stove? You should simmer beets in water from 45 to 60 minutes.
- How long do you microwave beets? It can take you from 8 to 20 minutes to cook beets in the microwave.
- How long do you boil beets in a rice/multi cooker? Boil beets up to 60 minutes in any cooker.
- How long do you steam beets in a rice/multi cooker? It will take you 30-40 minutes to team beetroots.
- How long do you cook beets in a Pressure cooker? You cook beets in a pressure cooker 13 to 15 minutes.
- How long do you boil chopped beets? We do not advise you to cook chopped beets, as they will lose their color and flavor. However, if there is no other way, it can take you 15-20 minutes to get your chopped beetroot ready.
For those who are interested in a step-by-step process of cooking beets, keep reading our article.
How to boil beets in a pan?
We will give you several ways how you can boil beets on the stove in water, and you decide which will taste best for you. The first method will be the classical one:
- Chop the green tops off the vegetable. To keep the color of beets intact while cooking, keep 1 inch (2-3 cm) of the roots and stalk ends. DO NOT TAKE THE SKIN OFF! Just clean them thoroughly under running water (use sponge if necessary).
- Place your beets in a large pan and fill it with cold water. There should be enough water to cover beets not less than by to 2 inches (5 cm). You can also add here 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice, these ingredients can help prevent beets from bleeding, but if the skin off beets was left intact while cleaning, they will not lose color anyway.
- Bring a pot with beets to a boil on the high heat, then reduce it to medium and let the beetroots simmer for 45-60 minutes in covered pan. You can always check their doneness with fork or knife. If you can pierce them easily, they are cooked.
- Once boiled, quickly rinse them under cold running water. It will make your beets easier to peel. Do not leave them in the cold water to cool!
The second method of boiling is slightly different. It will take you less time to boil but more time to cool beets down:
- Boil a pot of water and only then place beets. Leave the heat high after water with beets reboils.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into boiling water.
- After boiling beets for 30 minutes, move them to a deep bowl with cold water (you even can add ice) and leave there for additional 20 minutes.
Here you have two easy ways how you can cook beets on the stove. However, if you have a chance not to boil them, it is always better to eat steamed and baked vegetables. As steaming or baking is the best way to cook beets to retain nutrients.
Do you need to peel beetroot before you cook them? No. If it is not stated in your recipe otherwise, we strictly advice you not to peel beets before boiling, as they can lose their color and taste.
When is the right time to add salt while cooking beets? Do not add salt into boiling beetroot, as it will make the vegetable harder. It is better to add salt when your beetroot is ready and in a dish.
How to boil beets in a multi-cooker?
You can use a multi-cooker both to boil and to steam beetroots. Process of boiling in a pot and a multi-cooker in its core stays the same:
- Thoroughly clean beetroots in running water, do not forget not to cut off roots and stems.
- Put cleaned beets into a cooker and pour water over it by 1-2 inches higher than beetroot.
- Set the timer for 60 minutes and choose setting “Boiling” or “Steaming”.
- When you hear a beep sound you can check tenderness of your boiling beets, if they are not ready you can extend cooking time for extra 10-20 minutes.
- After boiling beetroots in a multi-cooker put them into cold water for 5 minutes.
How to steam beetroot in a rice cooker? Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot of a rice cooker, put the steam tray with cleaned beetroots inside the rice cooker. Always check the level of water, as it should not touch beetroots. Steam beetroots for 30-40 minutes.
How to cook beets in microwave?
Microwaving beetroots is the easiest and quickest way of cooking this vegetable. Check out a helpful guideline below:
- Clean beetroots thoroughly, do not take its skin off and do not cut off its roots and stem.
- Take an oven bag and put beets inside it. Place oven bag with beets into microwave-safe bowl and put it into microwave.
- If you have a 1,000-watt microwave set the timer to 8-10 minutes, if you have a 800-watt microwave your time of cooking will be 15-20 minutes.
- After a beep sound take beetroots out of the microwave and let them cool down. And here you have tasty cooked beets. Now you have a great recipe how you can cook beetroots in microwave.
You may be interested in weight yield of beets after cooking.
If you found our article helpful, please, share with your friends. Feel free to leave comments in the section below if you have any good advice on how you can boil fresh beets on the stove. If you know some other methods, how you can, for example, microwave beetroots, do not forget to write them too.