If you have no idea what to make for dinner, you are standing before the counter and can’t decide what to get for just a family meal, or to surprise guests that are coming for dinner. The answer is mussels. They are full of omega-3 and have other nutritional benefits: Vitamins C and B12, protein. There should be no doubts, as they are also on the lower price point. If you have a chance, cook mussels! You can steam them, boil or even bake in the oven. This post has a detailed recipe how you can boil mussels at home and prepare a delicious and mouth watering delicacy.
How long to boil mussels?
Mussels can be sold frozen or fresh, with shells on or peeled off. Here we will give you a list where you can check cooking time of mussels for every type:
- How long do you boil fresh mussels in a pot on the stove? Fresh mussels with shells on should be boiled for 4-6 minutes in a pot in the stove after water boils again.
- How long do you boil frozen mussel meat? Mussel meat can be sold of two type in supermarkets: frozen cooked mussels meat or frozen raw mussels meat. Before getting rid of the packaging, read carefully the instructions. You need to boil frozen raw mussel meat for 5-7 minutes in water; and you need to cook 2-3 minutes frozen precooked mussel meat on the stove.
Try not to overcook mussels; do not keep them in boiling water more than required time as you can make mussels meet rubbery and uneatable.
Here is another tip for you on how you can guess the perfect time of boiling mussels: when water reboils, you lower the heat down and close with a lid your pot with boiling mussels, set the timer for 5 minutes. Then in 5 minutes open the lead and check the shells of the mussels. If not all the mussels are open, you can add additional minute of cooking. That is it! Do not overcook mussels!
How to cook mussels on the stove?
Always check the packaging for instructions on how to boil mussels that you bought. As there can be many peculiarities, which can influence on the way you cook your mussels. For example, there are mussels that are sold already in sauce. These ones you will cook by steaming or baking in the oven, boiling won’t anything good to them. The method on how you can boil mussels at home that we will give you is universal. It is a classic mussels recipe, that you can customize to your liking:
- Take a large saucepan or a pot with cold water and put it on the high heat. Let the water boil. On the average, you will need 1 liter of water for 1 kilo of mussels.
- When water boils, add salt, fresh herbs and seasoning. You can choose anything you like, from bay leaves, fresh fennel to garlic. Let them simmer for a minute to make boiling water flavorful. Now add your mussels, lower the heat and close the lead of a pot. Boiling time for mussels was analyzed in the top of the article.
- When mussels are ready, drain water with the help of a colander. Do not leave mussels in hot water, as their cooking will continue, their meat can become rubbery.
- Serve boiled mussels with any additional sauce or simply a half of a lemon. You can add freshly chopped herbs to make their aroma and serving form mouthwatering.
When cooked, the shells of mussels should have opened. If you had your mussels boiling for а minutes, and some of them are still closed, do not eat the ones that remained closed, throw them out!
If you liked our article, please share with your friends! If you have any suggestions or ideas on how you can cook perfect mussels, leave them in the comment section below. Love hearing feedback from you! As you can tell, cooking mussels is not a hard thing to do. Only several minutes of your time, and your mouthwatering, full of nutrients meal is ready.