Fried summer squash coins recipe has it all: only several ingredients, a few steps to follow. And you have a perfect side dish. With or without sauce, it is already a perfect dish. The sauce just simply adds that something extra. By the way, you can also fry summer squash bare, without using any flour. However, flour makes zucchini crunchy while fried.
Ingredients for Fried Squash Slices in Flour:
- 2 summer squashes or zucchinis;
- 3 tbsps. Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise);
- 50 g all-purpose flour;
- 2-3 garlic cloves;
- Fresh dill;
- Oil for frying;
- Salt, pepper.
How to fry summer squash coins at home:
- As always, first you need to prepare your vegetables: clean thoroughly summer squash/zucchini under cold running water and damp them with paper towels to get them dry. Slice them into rounds (1 – 1.5 cm wide).
- Sliced coins of squash place in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Stir them to cover all the squash slices in salt. Leave them for 15 minutes. Salt will extract extra moisture from squash which you should remove (use a paper towel to damp slices or simply drain the liquid.
- Dredge every slice in all-purpose flour.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet, place summer floured squash slices in skillet. Fry summer squash/zucchini until golden brown on both sides.
- When slices are fried, place them on a paper towel to get rid of extra oil.
How to make sauce for fried summer squash/zucchini coins:
- I like to have fried slices of summer squash with a sauce. The one I will make today is the easiest. Nicely chop fresh dill and garlic (or use the garlic presser). Combine chopped dill and garlic with yogurt or mayonnaise. I like to use Turkish yogurt as it has the perfect amount of sourness for me. Nevertheless, Greek yogurt or mayonnaise will be great, too.
- Thoroughly combine all the ingredients together.
- You can serve squash slices in two ways. Cover every squash coin with a sauce as I have on the picture or serve them separately. You can also choose to eat them warm or cold. Fried summer squash with yogurt sauce is tasty both ways!
Enjoy your meal!
It is the easiest side dish that you can find! Well, I say this almost about every recipe I post. Please, believe me! You only need to slice summer squash or zucchini, cover it in flour and fry. The key for me is the sauce that you serve with fried slices. If you liked mine recipe, please share it with your friends! All your questions leave in the comment section below.