They say there are at least two hundred variations of Caesar Salad recipe: with shrimps, smoked or grilled salmon, a recipe with just greens, croutons and sauce, you even can find a vegan recipe for this salad. Each of these recipes is unique in its own way. Today, we will introduce you to the classic Chicken Caesar Salad with Croutons recipe that will not disappoint you!
You will find a detailed guideline on how to make a perfect Caesar salad dressing with canned anchovies. We insist on using the anchovy, as it brings savory taste to grilled chicken breast. Croutons are a must too, as they add a perfect crunchy texture to salad leaves! We will also give you a recipe for perfect homemade croutons.
Learn how you can make a perfect Caesar salad with grilled chicken!
Cook Time: 1 hour. Yield: 2 servings.
Ingredients for Classic Caesar Salad:
- 1 large head of green leaf or romaine lettuce;
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast;
- 1/2 loaf of bread for croutons;
- 5 tbsps. olive oil (2 tablespoons for croutons and 3 tablespoons for sauce);
- 4-5 canned anchovy fillets (about 100 g once mashed);
- 1 garlic clove;
- 1 fresh egg yolk;
- 1 tbsp. mustard;
- 2-3 tbsps. lemon juice;
- 50 g grated parmesan;
- salt, black pepper, chili powder to taste.
Easy to follow Chicken Caesar Salad with Croutons Recipe:
How do you marinate chicken for Caesar Salad:
- 20-30 minutes before grilling let chicken sit in a simple marinade: sprinkle over chicken breast salt and pepper. For this recipe, you`d better slice chicken breast horizontally into 2 pieces (place chicken breast on a cutting board and hold it with your other hand to help you in the process).
How to make homemade croutons for Caesar Salad:
- While chicken breast is marinating, let`s make some crunchy croutons. Cut off crust and slice bread into cubes. Take a day old bread, as it will be easier to cut it.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons of olive oil, black pepper (freshly ground) and chili powder.
- Toss bread cubes in this mixture with seasoning.
- Spread bread cubes evenly on a baking tray and bake until desired crispiness (as a rule, it takes about 10 minutes at 180 C/350 F until croutons turn golden brown).
- Do not forget to cool croutons before using in the salad.
How to make Caesar Salad dressing:
- Mix together minced garlic with anchovy fillets.
- Add mustard, lemon juice, freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
- By whisking egg yolk into the mixture, start mixing all the ingredients together.
- To make it even smoother, you can use blender. When all the ingredients are blended nicely together, start pouring olive oil in a slow steady stream while you continue blending. When you added all the volume of olive oil, your dressing is ready.
How to make Caesar salad:
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat, place chicken and grill it until cooked through (depending on the thickness of chicken slices, it can take you up to 10 minutes for each side to cook).
- Before using romaine leaves in a salad, rinse them thoroughly and dry. Tear or chop lettuce into bite-sized pieces; place them for a first layer in a serving plate.
- Top lettuce with cut into pieces grilled chicken and cooled croutons.
- Generously sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese (or parmesan shavings) and drizzle with Caesar salad dressing. Serve immediately!
Please share your experience with us! If you have tips on how you can cook a perfect Caesar salad or any tricks on how to make Caesar salad sauce, please, leave them in the comment section below! Remember that you cannot go wrong with classics! This Caesar salad recipe is perfect as a standalone dinner meal, or an addition to your party meal plan.
If you liked our recipe, please share it with your friends!