Powdered sugar icing is perfect for cookies and cake decorating. The recipe that I am going to share with you is a pretty simple one and easy to follow. As a result, you will have basic sugar icing with a smooth texture just by mixing several common ingredients.
You only need three ingredients: egg whites, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. The consistency of the finished glaze directly depends on the amount of powdered sugar that you use. You can have it runny (to imitate drops, for example), or you can make it thick.
You can use not only store-bought confectioners’ sugar in this recipe, but also you can make your own. An electric coffee grinder can help you make perfect homemade powdered sugar from regular/white granulated sugar. To give powdered sugar a nice pleasant aroma, add a pinch of vanilla sugar while grinding it.
How to make powdered sugar glaze for cake decorating
Here are some tips on how to make the best sugar icing for your cake:
- Sift powdered sugar before mixing it with an egg yolk.
- Do not use a whisk or a mixer for combining powdered sugar with the whites. Mix these ingredients by grinding powder with a tablespoon to get rid of the lumps.
- For each egg white, use 180 g of powdered sugar to get a nice icing. You will need only 150 g of powdered sugar to get a more runny option. You should combine 200 g of powdered sugar with 1 egg white to get the thickest icing.
- By adding lemon juice, you not only add a lemony flavor to the icing but also make its white color more pronounced.
- You can use a spoon, a spatula, and a brush for glazing your baked goods.
- You can customize its flavor by adding different extracts, like vanilla, coffee, rum, etc.
Sugar Glaze Icing Recipe for Cake Decorating
- 180 g powdered sugar
- 1 egg white (about 30 g)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Prepare all the ingredients. Sieve powdered sugar and take an egg out of the fridge.
- Separate egg white from the yolk and pour it into a deep bowl. Add lemon juice.
- Add powdered sugar in portions. Mix the ingredients by constantly rubbing the mixture over the surface of the bowl. Try to get rid of all the lumps to get the mixture smooth.
- Drizzle or smear the glaze over the cooled dessert.
I hope that your sugar icing turned out the way you wanted it to. I always like to hear your feedback whether you have any suggestions or found any mistakes. Do not forget to give the recipe a star review or share it with your friends.