I hope that I do not have to convince you how lucky you are to find this easy mackerel recipe. This dish is easy to cook, it has few ingredients with a lot of nutritional benefits. As mackerel is a rich source of Omega-3 (also some other vitamins and nutrients: Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, and folate).
You can serve it even on the special occasion as roasted mackerel with lemon, and rosemary is full of flavor and juiciness. Moreover, the fish is budget friendly. You can buy mackerel even frozen, store it in the freezer as long as you’d like; before baking it in the oven simply thaw it in the fridge.
Ingredients for Roasted Mackerel in the Foil:
- 1 mackerel (cleaned and gutted);
- 2-4 lemon slices;
- 2 tbsps. olive oil;
- 1 rosemary spring;
- salt and ground black pepper for seasoning;
How to cook mackerel in the oven in the foil:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- First, we need to clean mackerel. Remove head from the body, remove all the guts from the cavity, nicely rinse it under cold running water. Pat it dry with paper towels in the end.
- Take a large piece of good-quality aluminum foil and fold in half, shiny side from the outside. You should make enough space for your mackerel to be fully wrapped. Cover fish in olive oil and drizzle some oil over foil. Season mackerel with salt inside and outside.
- Cut lemon in slices and place them inside the fish together with a small pat of butter.
- Lay rosemary spring on the mackerel and sprinkle over with black pepper, freshly ground black pepper is always the better choice.
- Wrap the fish tightly in the foil; place it on the baking tray. Bake mackerel for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C. If you like fish to be crispier outside but still juicy inside, do not bake mackerel longer than stated. It will only become dryer. Here is a tip for you: just increase the temperature to 400°F/200°C.
- Remove from heat, cut through the foil and let the first steam out. Add some fresh lemon slices and serve! Bon appetite!
I’ve always struggled with the ways to incorporate more fish into my daily meals. I do not know what is up with that. I am from the family where in the summer almost every weekend was a fishing weekend. I do not like pan-fried fish, can`t even think about fish soup but this recipe was a revelation for me. You can use mackerel fresh from the market or frozen. I didn’t find any differences in taste. The meat was still juicy after baking.
If you liked the recipe, please, share with your friends! All your questions leave in the comment section below.