There are several ways how you can use chickpeas in your diet. In this article, we will teach you how you can boil chickpeas on the stove and how you can cook chickpeas in a rice cooker and instant pot. If you master these methods of cooking, then your cooking experience will become easier and more pleasant.
You may also like: How to measure chickpeas with cups?
How long do you cook chickpeas?
Cooking time for chickpeas depends on several factors. The first thing is whether you decide to boil chickpeas presoaked or not, and which cooking method you have chosen. Here is a list where you can check how long it takes to cook chickpeas:
- How long do you boil chickpeas (presoaked)? After soaking chickpeas, you need to boil them for 40-60 minutes.
- How long to boil chickpeas without soaking? It will take you at least 1.5 hours to boil chickpeas on the stovetop to get them cooked through.
- How long do you cook chickpeas in a cooker (rice cooker, multi-cooker)? If you decide to use a rice cooker, it will take you approximately 1.5 hours to get them prepared.
- How long to cook chickpeas in instant pot? Cook chickpeas for 30-40 minutes in the instant pot, using mode “Beans”.
If you want to learn how you can make perfect cooked chickpeas on the stove or in a cooker, you can check out recipes below.
What is the weight yield of chickpeas when boiled?
The weight of dried chickpeas triples in size when boiled. 1 cup of dried chickpeas = 3 cups of boiled chickpeas.
How to cook chickpeas on the stove with soaking and without?
There are many recipes where you can use boiled chickpeas. There two ways to start: with soaking or without it. We strongly advise you to try both of them and see which one fit exactly your needs and tastes. For both variations of Boiling Chickpeas Recipe you have the same steps to follow, the only difference is the amount of time you spend boiling chickpeas on the stove.
Ingredients for the recipe: 1 tsp. of salt, 1 cup of soaked chickpeas, 4 cups of water, herbs and seasoning (garlic, bay leaves).
Type: Side dish Cuisine: Vegan Calories: 126 kcal Yield: 2 servings Prep Time: 4 h 00 min Cook Time: 50 min Ready in 4 h 50 min
- Measure out necessary amount of chickpeas, make sure that you have all the small debris removed, and thoroughly rinse it running water.
- Take a large bowl as chickpeas will expand, place them in a bowl and cover with cold water. As a rule, for 1 cup of dried chickpeas you have to use 3 cups of water. Let them soak for 4-6 hours.
- When you finish soaking chickpeas, be sure to drain the water and rinse legumes thoroughly before cooking.
- Transfer chickpeas to a pot or a large saucepan and cover them with cold water: 4 cups of water for 1 cups of soaked chickpeas.
- Let the water boil on the high heat then reduce heat to medium-low; let the water simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- You can add salt (1 level teaspoon of salt for 1 cup of chickpeas), seasoning or herbs (garlic, bay leaves) only 5-10 before the end of cooking, in such a way you let chickpeas cook through. If you add salt in the beginning, they can turn out a little bit tough.
- Check chickpeas whether they are already done or need some more time to cook through. Add 5-10 more minutes on your timer for the required result. Enjoy your meal!
If you have Pinterest, fill free to pin the following picture!
How do you boil chickpeas without soaking? If you are boiling chickpeas without presoaking, first you need to let water together with chickpeas boil on the high heat for 10-15 minutes. Only then, reduce the heat to low and let them simmer for additional hour or 1.5 until tender. I must worn you that the water in the pot may cook off earlier than chickpeas are ready. In this case, pour water to the pot but make sure to boil it beforehand.
How do you cook chickpeas in a rice cooker?
Here is an additional recipe on how you can cook chickpeas only using a rice-cooker instead of boiling them on the stove. The recipe is easy to follow with several peculiarities to pay attention to:
- As always, before using any grain or type of legume, you should clean it. Rinse chickpeas under cold running water.
- Have chickpeas presoaked before cooking. Place them in a large bowl, fil it with cold water and let it sit for 4 hours.
- Drain water out of the boal, rinse chickpeas again and put into a rice cooker.
- Add 4 (4.5) cups of cold water per 1 cup of soaked chickpeas, set the timer for 1.5 hours and press Start. You can add salt before turning on the cooker (1 tsp. for 1 cup of chickpeas) or after (add salt to still warm cooked chickpeas and stir until well incorporated). You should know that adding salt in the beginning could make them a little bit tougher.
- When cooking time ends, check chickpeas for tenderness. If the they are ready, take them out of a cooker. If not, set the cooker for additional 5 to 10 minutes.
How to cook chickpeas in instant pot (pressure cooker)?
Chickpeas is the favorite type of legumes to cook for dinner for me. It is delicious, rich in flavor, has its own unique taste and is relatively quick to prepare. Pay attention to the proportions of water to chickpeas. For 1 cup of dried chickpeas, use 4 cups of cold water. Do not forget to add seasoning to make the garnish that extra special:
- Rinse chickpeas under running water using colander or a fine sieve, whatever you have on hands. Or you can place them in a deep bowl, cover with water and then drain the water; repeat steps several times until drained water becomes clear. (I try to wash almost all the grains before cooking).
- Now, in a bowl cover chickpeas with cold water and set it aside for 4-5 hours to soak.
- Drain chickpeas after soaking and put inside the instant pot. Now, cover legume with necessary amount of water. As I mentioned above, try keeping the ratio right. It is the key to perfectly cooked chickpeas. Add salt and other seasoning of your choice (freshly ground pepper or whole peppercorns, dried herbs: bay leaf, thyme, parsley, coriander (being my top choices).
- Close the lid of the instant pot; make sure that the steam release valve is in the closed position. Set the timer for 30 minutes and press
- When you hear the beep signal that the cooking is over, wait for 5 minutes before opening the instant pot.
- Most often this time is enough to get chickpeas to the cooked through state. But you always can add 10 more minutes to get it to the consistency you want.
Now, chickpeas garnish is ready to be served. It is one of my favorite of side dishes out there. It goes perfectly with any type of meat or fish recipe:
Do you need to soak chickpeas before boiling? It is not necessary but advisable, as boiling time will be shorter, and you will have more tender and soft chickpeas.
How to cook chickpeas to make them tender? Once again, if you want to have tender chickpeas after boiling, we advise you not to skip soaking them in cold water beforehand.
How do you soak chickpeas before boiling? The first step is to rinse thoroughly chickpeas under running water. Take in large bowl (choose wisely as every type of legumes expands in size when being soaked in water), put chickpeas inside and cover with water. Have them in water for 4-6 hour (we strongly advice you not to have soaking process for more than 6 hour, as it evencan make them even tougher). The proportion for soaking will be following: 3 cups of water to 1 cup of dried chickpeas.
We hope that you enjoyed our article. If you found it helpful, please share with your friends! Feel free to leave all your questions and suggestions in the comment section below. Cooking chickpeas is not so difficult thing, as it appears to be. By learning some distinctive features on how you can prepare chickpeas at home, you will master it at once.