There are several ways how you can use chickpeas in your diet. In this article, we will teach you how you can boil chickpeas on the stove and how you can cook chickpeas in a rice cooker. If you master these two methods of cooking, then your cooking experience will become easier and more pleasant.
You may also like: How to measure chickpeas with cups?
How long do you cook chickpeas?
Cooking time for chickpeas depends on several factors. The first thing is whether you decided to boil chickpeas presoaked or not, and which type of cooking you chose. Here is a list where you can check how long it takes to cook chickpeas:
- How long do you boil chickpeas (presoaked)? After soaking chickpeas, you need to boil them for 40-60 minutes.
- How long to boil chickpeas without soaking? It will take you to cook chickpeas on the stovetop for at least 1.5 hours to get them prepared.
- How long do you cook chickpeas in a cooker (rice cooker, multi-cooker)? If you decided to use a rice cooker, it will take you approximately 1.5 hours to get them prepared.
If you want to learn how you can make perfect cooked chickpeas on the stove or in a cooker, you can check our following recipes.
How to cook chickpeas on the stove with or without soaking?
There are many recipes where you can use boiled chickpeas. There two ways to start: with soaking or without it. We strongly advise you to try both of them and see which one fit exactly your need and tastes. This recipe is can be used for cooking both ways, you only will have to boil beans different amount of time:
- Measure out necessary amount of chickpeas, make sure that you have all the small debris removed, and thoroughly rinse it running water.
- Take a large bowl as chickpeas will expand, place beans in a bowl and cover them with cold water. As a rule, for 1 cup of dried chickpeas you have to use 3 cups of water. Let them soak for 4-6 hours.
- When you finish soaking chickpeas, be sure to drain the water and rinse beans through before cooking.
- Transfer chickpeas to a pot or a large saucepan and cover them with cold water: 4 cups of water for 1 cups of soaked chickpeas. Let the water boil on the high heat then reduce heat to medium-low; let the water simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
If you are boiling chickpeas without presoaking, first you need to boil beans on the high heat for 10-15 minutes. Only then, reduce the heat to low and let it cook for additional hour or 1.5 for more tender beans.
- You can add salt (1 level teaspoon of salt for 1 cup of chickpeas), seasoning or herbs (garlic, bay leaves) only 5-10 before you have your chickpeas ready, in such a way you let the beans to become tender. If you add salt in the beginning, they can turn out a little bit tough.
What is the weight yield of chickpeas when boiled? The weight of dried chickpeas triple in size when boiled. 1 cup of dried chickpeas = 3 cups of boiled chickpeas.
How to cook chickpeas to make them tender? If you want to have tender chickpeas after boiling, we advise you not to skip soaking them in cold water beforehand.
Do you need to soak chickpeas before boiling? It is not necessary but advisable, as boiling time will be shorter, and you will have more tender and soft beans.
How do you soak chickpeas before boiling? You need to rinse thoroughly chickpeas, place them in large bowl (choose wisely as every type of beans expands in size when being soaked in water) and cover with water. Have chickpeas in water for 4-6 hour (we strongly advice you not to chickpeas soaked more than 6 hour and even overnight, it will make beans tougher). The proportion for soaking will be following: 3 cups of water to 1 cup of dried beans.
How do you cook chickpeas in a cooker?
Here is an additional recipe for you how you can boil chickpeas only using a cooker instead making beans on the stove. It is and easy recipe to follow, but it still has its own peculiarities:
- As always, before using any beans or grains you should clean them. Rinse chickpeas under cold running water.
- Have beans presoaked before cooking. Place chickpeas in a large bowl, fil it with cold water and let it sit for 4 hours.
- Drain beans of chickpeas, rinse them again and put into a rice cooker.
- Add 4 (4.5) cups of cold water per 1 cups of soaked chickpeas, set the timer for 1.5 hours, select Porridge on the menu and press Cooking button.
You can add salt before turning on the cooker (1 tablespoon for 1 cup of beans) or after (add salt to still warm cooked chickpeas and stir chickpeas to mix together with salt). You should know that adding salt in the beginning could make them a little tough.
- When cooking time ends, check chickpeas for tenderness. If the beans are ready, take them out of a cooker.
We hope that you enjoyed our article. If you found it helpful, please share with your friends! Feel free to leave all your questions and suggestions in the comment section below. Cooking chickpeas is not so difficult thing as it appears to be. By learning some distinctive features on how you can prepare chickpeas at home, you will master it at once.